Understanding the Seven Sources of Web Traffics
Written by Ibraheem Sikiru
Published on 6/22/2019 3:57:11 PM
Either you are running an app (desktop or mobile) or a website, web traffic is essential to the measurement of the degree of acceptability of such digital products by the online audience. Mostly, the website administrators and bloggers need more and more traffic everyday to keep the courage of their career.
Web Traffic is a measurement of how many time people visit a particular website per a particular period of time. Web Traffic is important that it is valued by the giant ad providers like Google AdSense, Microsoft Media.Net and almost all the third party ad service providers.
This value is then vary depending on the sources of the web traffic to a particular website. Hence, we have a category of web traffic called Quality Traffic.
Quality traffic is never a measure of size but a validation of receiving endorsement from authorized web traffic sources.
According to studies on different search engine, to build a quality traffic, every web administrator and blogger must understand the seven sources of web traffic. Let us go.
- Social Traffic: This is the category of traffics that comes to a website from any of the social media networks. Social traffic is a click action generated on website links posted on the social media networks and leads to a website or web page for user's satisfaction.
Every website admin and blogger should know that the content, being linked to, must be efficiently written to satisfy the user's want.
This category of web traffic could be paid or organic. However, the type of the social traffic is not as relevant as having great content that satisfies users' want and encourage them to spend more time on the web page, click on more inbound links on the web page to maximize the web traffic, page views, session time and average performances of the website before different Search Engines.
This category of web traffics always come from Social Media Networks like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedln, PInterest, Instagram and lots more of them.
However, research has shown that except if indicated or tracked with hashtag or query string in the URL string, traffic from WhatsApp do not fall within this category.
- Affiliates Traffic: Affiliates Traffic is a web traffic received by a website from an affiliate program. An Affiliate Program is one in which a business owner buy referees from referrers. Meaning set of people (in this context, it could be bloggers, online agents, social media users or Social Media Influencers) will be promised a certain amount of money or an arranged-reward for each click action that lead to the targeted URL after the Affiliate Marketers must have promoted the website link to his/her friends and followers on different online channels.
Affiliate traffic should not be relied on for any publisher who would want to be ranked better on the Search Engines because the traffic usually come from unauthorized sources and could even be generated from spamming source that may accumulate to becoming an invalid traffic.
This type of web traffic source might be adopted if the web admin has a mean of filtering an invalid traffic from landing on the website.
However, online business websites that do not need Search Engine Optimization could used this.
Though, there are some affiliate programs that rely on their field agents to get the traffic for the targeted websites. This category of Affiliates operates like Google AdSense Ad. This will rank your website as their traffics are majorly from direct sources.
Examples of Affiliates Traffic includes web traffic generated from Email-Marketing, SMS-Marketing, Referred from another websites but with query string containing username parameter and value.
- Referral Traffic : Referral Traffic seems like Affiliates Traffic but instead of people as Referrer in the Affiliate, other website is the Referrer in Referral Traffic.
This type of web traffic is considered by Search Engines as endorsement of the referred web page by the Referring websites. Search Engines may, as a result of this, rank a website better if the Referring website is an authority website (Website that already enjoy high web ranks).
The major determinant of this source of web traffic is that the html tag no the referring website is setup with rel=follow. Receiving referral traffics from authority websites boosts ranking of a website and maximizes the Search Engines Optimization chances of the website.
Examples of Referral Traffic could be a Paid Social Traffic, back-link from other website while references are made to the content of the receiving website. Traffic from Forum website. Traffic from the link click actions generated from the comment section of another website or social media networks.
Referral Traffic could also be generated from Web Browser's suggested contents and Search Engine's News Publishers Network.
- Direct Traffic: This is the commonest and most reliable source of web traffic though difficult to obtain. This is the web traffic generated by a website when a user type the web address of the website into the URL text-box of the browser and hit the go button to navigate to the website.
Usually, this web traffic has the website home page as its landing page but browser's history and auto-completion is giving chances to other web pages as landing pages.
There is an industrial theory on this source of web traffic and it states that The higher the Direct Traffic, the higher the Page Views, the higher the page/session duration (the time a user spent on a web page or entire website before logging off), the lower the Bounce Rate (Rate at which user log off from a website after visiting a page), the higher the rank of the website and the higher the economic values of the website.
This source of traffic requires users to have either memorized the URL of the website or installed mobile or desktop app that will navigate to the website directly after a click action.
Also, the modern browsers and web technologies have added options of Bookmarking a web page, adding a website shortcut to the browser's starting page or adding a website's shortcut to the Mobile Phone's Home screen which then open a website's URL into an instance of mobile browser on receiving a click or touch action. Except if indicated or tracked with hashtag or query string in the URL string, traffic from WhatsApp falls within this category
- Paid Traffic: Paid Traffic is any traffic generated from a source where money is paid before the traffic is directed to the website. Paid Traffic might target a particular web [page, section of the website or the entire website.
However, paid traffic is not always a quality traffic except the traffics are either filtered or being received from an authority website.
Paid Traffic is not a reliable one as it might leave negative impact on the website search engine profile which the website admin will definitely suffer after the campaign run out. Also, some Paid Traffic sources promote intrusion, phishing and Pogo-Sticking. All these have negative impacts on the receiving website's performance in search engine.
Paid Traffic is any mean of buying traffics to a web page or website. This mean could be through purchase of web traffic from SEO Company, Affiliate Marketers, Infant Ad Tech Companies, SMS Marketers, E-Mail Marketing, traffic from Contextual Ad Network, Google AdWord and so on.
- Display Traffics: Display Traffics are traffics generated from click action on display contents. The display content could be a photo banner or video surrounded by hyperlink tags.
Examples of Display Traffics are traffic generated from any display advertisement sources like Google Display Ad Network, Media.Net and so on.
- Organic Traffics: Organic Traffics are traffics or visits to a website generated from the Search Engines Results Pages. Organic Traffic is another very important sources of web traffic.
This source of traffic determines the relevance of the contents of a particular web page or website.
This source of traffic is as important as Direct Traffic thus it determines the relevance of the entire website and its contents while Direct Traffic determines acceptability of a website by an online community.
Digital Industry believes that the higher an Organic Traffic of a website the higher the value of the contents on the website, the higher the entire website's value. The higher the Organic Traffic for a website, the higher its expected revenue and recognition by international communities of the niche to which the website belongs.
Examples of organic traffics are traffic generated from the Search Engine Result Pages of Search Engines like Google Search Engine, Microsoft's Search Engine, Yandex Search Engine, Baidu Search Engine, Ask.Com Search Engine and so on.
Understanding the seven sources of website traffic is very importance for every website admin to plan the future of their website and measure the progress on the website's performances and acceptability among the online community.