How Backend Developers Can Optimise a Website for Search Engines
Written by Ibraheem Sikiru
Published on 6/11/2019 11:38:01 AM
Backend Developers, in the course of website development, are the programmers that set the brains of the website. They decide what function (s) is/are to be fired when a an event is fired. Events could be click, touch, key press, key release, selection change or any of its varieties. Search Engines Optimization is generally believed to be a responsibility of the front-end developers while designing the web interface. However, the task of Search Engines Optimization is not a responsibility of one, it is a serious task that backend developers must work on while coding the functionalities of a website.
Tips to be considered by the backend developers during the programming section of a website under development are listed below.
- Page Initialization State: Backend Programmers should be very careful of this stage in the course of web development. At Run-Time, Page Initialization State is where the client's Browser request the creation of life cycle for a web page, including request for the basic contents of the page. This stage is where the client's browser determines if the web page is valid for display or not. This is an entrance stage to the page loading stage.
Firstly, downloading operations should not be done at this state thus it might end in looping which will have strong negative feedback on the Search Engine Optimization for the web page.
Basically, this stage is good for checking if a web page IsPostBack or being visited for the first time; creates or re-creates dynamic controls; set master page dynamically or set the theme's property dynamically.
If necessary Search Engine Optimization tips are not considered here, it might result in slow website speed, connection timeout and redirect looping.
Any initialization or functional execution that you would want to be performed once are to be done here thus it is executed once per session.
This stage is important because it is the stage where client's browser and server make handshake.
- Page Load This is the stage where the objects of the web page are load and bind to the client's browser. Database Connection and Database Operations could be done here though with great care. Validation of controls and web page contents is best to be performed here to guaranty security and prevent cyber attacks.
At this stage, be careful in executing codes that might result into looping, redundancy and timeout.
It is never a best practice to execute recursive or iterative function at this stage thus it might interfere with other functionality and results into consumption of high bandwidth, slow web speed, timeout, looping and phishing.
Also, if at all, we would want to make redirection here, it should be 301 Permanent Redirection and looped redirection should not be executed in this section of the website.
This stage is critical thus web page inject is mostly done here. Hence, the best practice is to be explicit in programming the backend of our websites at this stage.
- Page Post Back : These are set of events that are raised when user take actions on the web page contents of their loaded web browsers. For instance, users might click on a button to submit a form. It is a great ideal to always check for validity of input in this section. This is the stage where black-heart hackers used to attack a website using web injection method.
The following are best practices at this stage:
1) Every input must be validated
2) Exception must be brilliantly caught.
3) Exception or Error Messages should be well displayed to the users.
4) If dynamic web controls are created at this stage, necessary Search Engines Optimization policies should be considered and integrated to the code behind.
5) Database related exception should be given an excellent attention.
With the above backend web programming ethics, there is no doubt that we are building a website with great presence on the search engines result pages.